Earring allergies explained : Why you shouldn’t put nail polish on earrings

Earring allergies explained : Why you shouldn’t put nail polish on earrings

Did you know it is believed that 10% of the population have metal allergies? Most earring allergies or sensitivities are actually caused from nickel used in combined metals. As you sweat the oils from your skin react to the metals and cause oxidation, with nickel this causes nickel salts which in turn cause irritations such as redness, itching and swelling.
earring allergy

I have seen multiple posts about people recommending you coat the earrings in clear nail varnish to prevent earring allergies, this scares me for many reasons. First of all nail polish can contain toxic ingredients and is intended to go on the nail plate not through a piercing. Secondly, most reactions are due to metal allergy and you can’t guarantee to cover the whole post with nail polish and even a tiny amount of contact can create the same reaction. Lastly and probably most importantly, nail polish CHIPS! If your like me it chips the second you apply it! Now imagine the polish chipping and flaking into your ear piercing. This hack is unhygienic, unsafe and not recommended for earring allergies

earring allergy nail polish

The best solution for your earring allergies is to find a metal that works for you. One of the lowest reaction metals is stainless steel which is what we use on all our earrings at Trend Tonic. Stainless steel is one of the most hypoallergenic metals around. Although it does contain tiny traces of nickel its tightly bound at a molecular level. This means it is extremely unlikely to cause irritation. Happy ears all round!

Shop our full range of hypoallergenic jewellery here

Back to blog